Saturday, September 10, 2016

Quintessence of the Stages of Path - Part III (Yeshe Gyaltsen)

[3/5 | Copyright@DNKL(2016) | Special thanks go to Tina R. & Ven. Chopel.]


Part I.   Guru Devotion & Small Capacity 
Part II.  Medium Capacity
Part III. The Sacred Heart of Awakening
 1. Seven Cycles of Premise and Conclusion
 2. Exchange Self-Adoration with Other-Cherishing
Part V.  Calm-abiding, Special Insight & Tantra
Part IV. Transcendental Means & Pastoral Skills 



༄༅།།བྱང་ཆུབ་ལམ་གྱི་རིམ་པའི་སྙིང་པོའི་གསལ་བྱེད་ཡང་གསལ་སྒྲོན་མ་ཞེས་བྱ་བ་བཞུགས་སོ།།
Quintessence of the Stages of Path

By the Most Venerable
Tsecholing Yongtzin Yeshe Gyaltsen

(Part III. The Sacred Heart of Awakening)

3. The Means to Train the Mind on the Stages of the Path for Living Beings of Great Capacity  

a. The General Trainings of the Great Vehicle  

i. The Means to Cultivate the Heart of Awakening 
(1) The Means to Cultivate the Heart of Awakening through the Instructions of Seven Cycles of Premise and Conclusion
Recognizing all sentient beings as my mothers
1.        If I liberate myself alone, but leave my mothers behind
in the dreadful ocean of existence, wearied and helpless,
how could anyone be more shameless and barbaric than I?
Therefore, I shall cultivate the Sacred Heart in order to liberate all my mothers.       
2.        My own mind is troubled by the devil of craving and aversion, and solely because of that,
beings appear as a variety of adversaries, allies and strangers.
But in fact, they are all my friendly companions.
Therefore, I shall have an impartial attitude towards all of them –
not being affectionate to some and alienating others.
3.        The Mighty One said: “From beginningless time, all migratory beings
have been our mothers again and again, and have safeguarded us with grace.”
Therefore, I shall contemplate this: from beginningless time,
all migratory beings without exception, whose presence extends over all the worlds,
have been becoming my mothers again and again,
and all they do is bestow their grace upon me, just like my mother in this life.
Recalling the grace of my mother
4.        Furthermore, this body of mine is given by my mother.
In pregnancy, she nourished, protected and cherished me
in her womb for as many as nine or tem months,
and never had any concern for her own weariness, discomfort or suffering at all,
but carried and cared for the sentient being in her womb with love at all times.
5.        When giving birth to me, she suffered hundreds of pains
and right after that, she had no concern for those pains,
but held and protected me as if she had found a wish-granting jewel,
with tremendous affection, fondness and adoration. 
6.        At all times, she kept me warm with her own body,
protected and nourished me as a child whose physical strength has destitute.
She shielded me from every type of terror, harm, pain and hurt,
and brought me well-being and happiness in all aspects.
Intention to repay the grace of my mothers
7.        Just like how my mother of this life protects me with grace,
all sentient beings, whose presence extends over all worlds,
have been becoming my mothers again and again from beginningless time,
and have been nourishing and protecting me as their child with immeasurable kindness.
Therefore, contemplating the grace of all sentient beings, my mothers,
I shall cultivate affectionate love towards all of them,
just like how I intend to repay the grace of my mother in this life.
8.        All those kind mothers of mine are drowning in the ocean of existence.
Deluded by the devil of mental afflictions,
they drift without any control over themselves.
With no guardian and no protector, they suffer in a flood of terrors.
They desire happiness but long for the causes of sorrow,
and are wearied and overwhelmed by mistaken understanding of
what to practice and what to abandon.
I shall quickly and swiftly liberate them – my mothers!  
9.        By such contemplation, I shall give rise
to an exceedingly forceful intention to repay their grace.
This is the root of the Great Vehicle’s Path:
the commitment to repaying the kindness of all my mothers,
brought about by recognizing them and recalling their grace.
When I cultivate such a non-fabricated commitment,
I will soon partake in the Path of the Great Vehicle.   
10.    Moreover, the cultivation of love, compassion and the Heart of Awakening,
as well as the Excellent Practice of Victors’ Heirs –
the Six Transcendental Means and the Four Pastoral Skills –
all depend on the strength of this commitment.
Thus, I shall be diligent in it – the root of the Great Vehicle’s Path.    
11.    Furthermore, it is not enough to engage only in one form of observation and practice.
I shall practice diligently to complete an assembly of causes and conditions:
to purify the vices of my previously committed karmas,
to make sincere prayers to my tutorial deities and Supreme Mentors,
and to analyze and reflect on this topic based on scriptures and reasoning.
Meditating on Love    
12.    I shall first think of my mother in this life,
and be diligent to meditate on my exceedingly intense love for her:
“How could I not enable my old mother to have all forms of well-being and happiness,
both contemporary and ultimate, with exception!”
Then, I shall be diligent to meditate on
my love for each and every sentient being one by one –
the intention to bring well-being and happiness to them. 
Meditating on Compassion
13.    Some of my old mothers are in the realm of hells,
they are suffering unendurable pains from excruciating hot and cold.
Thus, I shall meditate on my compassion for beings in hell:
“How could I not liberate them quickly and swiftly
from the pains of scorching hot and the pains of freezing cold!”
14.    Some of my old mothers took birth as hungry ghosts,
they are suffering the excruciations of thirst and hunger.
Thus, I shall meditate on my compassion for hungry ghosts:
“How could I not liberate those weary and helpless beings quickly and swiftly
from all types of sufferings as well as their causes!”
15.    Some of my old mothers took birth in the land of animals,
they are suffering hundreds of types of slavery, torture, slaughter and so forth.
Thus, I shall meditate on my compassion for animals:
“How could I not liberate them quickly and swiftly
from all those types of suffering!”
16.    Some of my old mothers, even though they have human lives,
lack the opportunity to reflect on the holy Dharma.
They long for vices and create causes to fall into the miserable realms,
and there is not one moment they have happiness, even temporarily.
Thus, I shall meditate on my compassion for all the migratory beings who are humans:
“How could I not liberate those weary and helpless beings quickly and swiftly
from all types of suffering as well as their causes!”      
17.    Some of my old mothers obtained deities’ bodies,
but still, without heedfulness, they are distracted
again and again by their appetite for the desirable,
so rapidly will they waste their merit,
fall back to the miserable realms and suffer in a flood of terrors.
Thus I shall meditate on my exceedingly intense compassion for old mothers of mine:
“How could I not liberate them quickly and swiftly,
from all types of suffering as well as their causes!” 
Meditating on the Sublime Commitment
18.    Having invoked love and compassion in my continuum in this way,
I shall cultivate the Sublime Commitment:
“I, myself, shall quickly and swiftly absolve all the weary and helpless sentient beings –
all my old mothers without exception – from the ocean of existence
and settle them in the unsurpassable bliss of liberation!”
Meditating on the Heart of Awakening
19.    But look at me now!
I don’t even have the certainty about where I will go,
how could I liberate anyone else
from the dominion of cyclic existence?
20.    However, if I am well trained on the Gradual Path towards the State of Awakening,
I will progress gradually through grounds and stages of the Great Vehicle,
and in the end, I will achieve the sacred state endowed with the ten powers.
Then, in each and every moment, I will be able to reveal myself through emanations
to sentient beings whose presence extends over all the worlds,
in accordance with their capacity and propensity,
and liberate them by teaching them the holy Dharma.    
21.    Thus, I shall cultivate the sublime Heart of Awakening with exceeding intensity:
“In order to quickly liberate all sentient beings,
I shall quickly achieve the Sacred State of Perfect Awakening.”
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I shall be able to do so! 
(2) The Means to Cultivate the Heart of Awakening through the Exchanging of Self-adoration and Other-cherishing
22.    Beholding myself dearly is my enemy:
From beginningless time until right now,
it has chained me in the dungeon of the three realms of cyclic existence
and oppressed me with many hundreds of types of suffering.
23.    Due to my mind of Self-adoration,
I accumulate vice karmas,
and then fall into the abyss of miserable realms and sorrowful lands,
where I am tormented constantly by excruciating and unbearable suffering.
24.    Even if I have a chance to obtain the life of a being in the pleasant realms,
due to the mind of holding myself dearly,
I do not practice the holy Dharma
which resides in the quintessence of this life with leisure and fortune
and can bring about definite well-being.
Instead, under the reign of craving, aversion and bewilderment,
I accumulate more and more vice karmas –
and fall into the depth of miserable realms and suffer terrors again and again,
25.    Therefore, based on scriptures and reasoning,
I shall be certain of this assertion:
This mind of beholding myself dearly
is the sole doorway which permits the arising of all suffering without exception.
26.    The Victor said:
“All the happiness in the realms of cyclic existence, whatever they may be,
arise due to the force of cherishing sentient beings.
Each and every virtue on the Grounds and Stages
also arise from the mind that cherishes sentient beings.”
Moreover, all the sacred bodies, lands and worlds,
the sacred actions, activities and virtues of the Awakened Realizers in their entirety, 
arise from their mind beholding sentient beings dearly.
27.    O my loving Supreme Mentor the Most Revered One,
please grant upon me your blessings:
Quickly dissipate this devil – the mind of beholding myself dearly
and quickly bring about the greatly precious jewel –
the mind that beholds others dearly.
28.    Please grant upon me your blessing:
Let the sufferings of vices and obstacles of
migratory beings – all my mothers –
in this very moment, ripen upon me without exception;
and let me give them my virtues and merits
so all migratory beings will be blessed with happiness.


~~~~
[To be continued.]            
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License
 

No comments:

Post a Comment