Sunday, September 11, 2016

Quintessence of the Stages of Path - Part IV (Yeshe Gyaltsen)


[4/5 Copyright@DNKL(2016) Special thanks go to Tina R. & Ven. Chopel.]
Part III. Sacred Heart of Awakening 
Part IV.  Training of the Heroes & Heroines of Awakening Heart
  (1) The Excellent Practices of the Victors’ Heirs in General
     (a) The Six Transcendental Means to Mature One’s Own Continuum  
          Enriching Generosity | Serene Discipline    |   Forbearance
          Diligent Vigor           | Mental Stabilization | Superb Wisdom
     (b) The Four Pastoral Skills to Mature Others’ Continuums
Part V.    Calm-abiding, Special Insight & Tantra

Jataka stories - Prince Sattva Fed His Own Body to a Mother Tiger
Mogao Caves, 580 C.E.

~~~~~
༄༅།།བྱང་ཆུབ་ལམ་གྱི་རིམ་པའི་སྙིང་པོའི་གསལ་བྱེད་ཡང་གསལ་སྒྲོན་མ་ཞེས་བྱ་བ་བཞུགས་སོ།།
Quintessence of of the Stages of Path
by the Most Venerable
Tsechokling Yongtzin Yeshe Gyaltsen
(Part IV. Training of the Heroes of Awakening Heart)

ii. Having cultivated the Heart of Awakening, the Way to take on the Trainings
(1) The Way to Take on the Excellent Practices of the Victors’ Heirs in General
(a) The Trainings to Mature One’s Own Continuum
      – the Six Transcendental Means
1.        In order to achieve the Sacred State of Perfect Awakening,
I must accomplish a complete assembly of causes and conditions for it.
Thus, I shall take on the training of this sublime pathway of the Victors’ Heirs:
“The pithy essence of the Great Vehicle’s Path is the Six Transcendental Means.”
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I shall be able to do so!
The Transcendental Means of Enriching Generosity
2.        If I have appetites for my body, possessions and so forth,
I will not be able to be trained in the excellent practice of the Victors’ Heirs.
Thus, desiring to be trained in the excellent practice of the Victor’s Heirs,
I shall first take on the training of enriching generosity – free from appetites. 
3.        According to the Victor’s teachings,
renunciates were prohibited by the Victor to engage
in the householder’s actions of trade, farming and so forth
even to accumulate material goods to give away.
Thus, I shall not engage in those generous actions of giving
which could contradict or endanger my discipline and precepts.
4.        But if I have any precious and material goods
which are obtained effortlessly due to the power of my previously accumulated merits,
or are gifted from my mother and father, or are inherited as family endowments,
I shall be diligent in giving them away – I shall be generous without an appetite.       
5.        Furthermore, it is of essential importance to know
on which occasions I must or must not give.
I shall understand in detail different occasions of permission and prohibition –
to whom I should or should not give.
6.        With respect to all the inferior, common and exalted recipients of my generosity,
I shall maintain an impartial mind freed from
biased feeling of attraction to some but aversion to others,
and regard all of the recipients as my guiding friends of virtues,
who serve to accomplish a perfect assembly of merit for me. 
7.        I shall also understand whether my actions of giving material goods,
will bring benefit or harm to the recipient.
And no matter what I do,
it should be upheld by the Sacred Heart of the Great Vehicle –
Thus I shall understand these crucial points of the trainings of enriching generosity.
8.        In summary, I shall be diligent in refining the mind of generosity:
Regarding all the three types of inferior, common and exalted recipients
as Wish-fulfilling Jewel and Wish-granting Trees
I shall give my body, possessions, virtues of three times and so forth,
in accordance with the situation of recipients
and the purpose and necessity of giving. 
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I shall be able to do so!       
The Transcendental Means of Serene Discipline
9.        If I obey and defend the Serene Discipline of Restraint,
I will also achieve the two higher types of Serene Discipline.
If I do not obey and defend the Serene Discipline of Restraint,
there will be no way for me to cultivate higher forms of virtues.
If I am conquered by my mental afflictions and flawed actions,
I will become morally deteriorated and fall lower and lower.
10.    The Serene Discipline of Restraint has three types:
of Individual Liberation, of Heroes with the Heart of Awakening
and of the Esoteric Mantra.
Therefore, I shall first be diligent to practice those three types of restraining
both principal and supplementary.
11.    Having held the three types of pure Serene Discipline of restraint as the foundation,
I shall practice as much as I can to complete
an assembly of tremendously powerful virtues on my continuum,
and serve the purpose of all migratory beings.       
12.    As explained in the case of Enriching Generosity,
it is of essential importance to know
the permissions and prohibitions here as well.
Thus, I shall understand in detail the practices
which bring well-being and the abandonment of harms.
13.    The Victors and their heirs all laud Serene Discipline:
“Serene Discipline is the foundation for all virtuous merit.”
Thus, I shall be wholeheartedly diligent to defend Serene Discipline.
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I shall be able to do so!   
The Transcendental Means of Forbearance
14.    In order to be trained in the Great Vehicle’s path,
it is of essential importance to sincerely practice
the Transcendental Means of Forbearance:
Without forbearance, anger will blaze in my continuum,
and there will be no foundation to
give rise to the Sacred Awakening Heart of the Great Vehicle. 
15.    If I do not have the Sacred Awakening Heart of the Great Vehicle,
there will be no foundation to give rise to any virtues of the Great Vehicle whatsoever.
The Victor said: “To enter the community of Great Vehicle practitioners,
it is necessary to cultivate the Sacred Heart of Awakening.”
16.    Since the sincere practice of forbearance is of essential importance,
contemplating well the flaws of hostility and the virtues of forbearance,
I shall meditate on forbearance. 
17.    A crude mental habit brings destruction to both oneself and others,
the fire of hostility scorches all the roots of virtue

All the harm is hostility’s doing!  
When my hostility is extinct, nothing will be able to cause me any harm
even if all sentient beings of a billion universe systems rise up to be my enemies.
18.    If I naturally abide in such a serene state with forbearance,
I will delight all deities and human beings, and be adored by them!   
All of my virtuous merits will not decline but increase,
I will be blissful in this life, the following lives and in the ultimate,
and I will become the sublime jewel for all those who have extraordinary powers. 
19.    Therefore, no matter what types of harm sentient beings cause upon me
I shall cultivate a benevolent heart of extraordinary love toward them:
Those old mothers of mine are mentally troubled and involuntarily disturbed
and careen into the abyss of miserable realms and wicked lands.
Thus, I will serve their purpose regardless of what they do to me!
20.    When physical suffering like sickness and so forth happen to me,
I shall understand it to be the condition to exhaust the result of my sinful actions
and commit to take it on with gladness and enthusiasm.
21.    I shall cultivate devotion to the Victors and their Heirs,
and make prayers to follow their unimaginably exemplary lives of Liberation,
which upon hearing, causes despair to those whose minds are weak
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I shall be able to do so!    
The Transcendental Means of Diligent Vigor
22.    The Victor said that Diligent Vigor is the foundation for all excellent virtues;
he also said that indolence is the basis of all flaws.
If I am indolent, I will not even accomplish my goals of this life,
how could I fulfill the great purposes in the future?
With the cultivation of diligent vigor,
there will be nothing at all that cannot be achieved.
23.    Because of the strength of their diligent vigor,
the Victors and their great heirs of the past
all arrived at the most exalted sacred state,
while indolent beings have been falling lower and lower. 
24.    Therefore, I shall give rise to this earnest heart again and again:
Starting from this life, this year, this month,
more specifically, from this day, this hour and this very minute,
until attaining the Quintessence of Awakening,
I will not surrender myself to the reign of the insidious devil – self-reification,
but make every effort to practice the excellent path of the Great Vehicle. 
25.    Having gradually cultivated my strength of diligence,
I shall bring about diligent vigor:
I will never be fainthearted, even if the accomplishment of
a single excellent virtue of the Great Vehicle’s path
requires many thousands of eons of my effort and hardship.
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I shall be able to do so!
The Transcendental Means of Mental Stabilization
26.    This life of leisure and fortune is difficult to obtain and has no time to squander,
and I have no control over where to take rebirth after I die.
What good will distractions of trivial purpose do me?
Therefore, I shall have no appetite at all for the worldly activities of this life,
but practice the meditation of mental stabilization
in an isolated abode, free from distraction.
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I shall be able to do so!
The Transcendental Means of Superb Wisdom
27.    The Victor said:
“The root of all the perceivable and non-perceivable excellent virtues is wisdom.”
If I have wisdom, all will be my friends,
but if I do not have wisdom, all will be my enemies.
28.    If I do not have wisdom,
I will not recognize what is beneficial and what is harmful,
and I will not know what to practice and what to abandon.
Without making a differentiation between
what is and is not in accordance with Dharma
I will not understand the permissions and prohibitions in the three types of restraint,
and there will be no way for me
to defend the three types of restraint without feeling contradiction.     
29.    In order to defend the three types of restraint without feeling contradiction,
I must have wisdom that properly understands permission and prohibition.
Therefore, with intense diligence, I shall properly practice the three kinds of wisdom.
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I shall be able to do so!     
(b) The Trainings to Mature Others’ Continuums
      – the Four Pastoral Skills
30.    Desiring to serve the purpose of all sentient beings – my old mothers,
I shall examine the state of mind of those
who are prospective apprentices of the Victors and their heirs.
Considering “This method benefits one and that benefits another,”
I shall first welcome such individual sentient beings who are ready to be apprenticed
into my community by generously giving them material goods.
31.    Then – according to the capacity of their individual faculties –
I shall delight them and bring them to maturity by speaking the holy Dharma.
Furthermore, for both of us – myself and my trainees –
there is no value to only talk about Dharma in vain.
Thus, I shall apply to my apprentices the skills of subduing the mind stream.
32.    Also, I myself shall engage in the practices
which are in perfect accordance
with the Dharma instructions I give to my apprentices.
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I shall be able to do so!      
33.    At the time of being trained in
the Six Transcendental Means and the Four Pastoral Skills,
I shall practice them with the Six Aspects of Holiness:
Each and every one of my actions should be supported by
the Sacred Heart of Awakening, and so forth.
I shall also practice the Transcendental Means in this manner:
each of them integrates the other five –
that is the training of the Excellent Deeds of Victors’ Heirs, vast and powerful.
34.    The Six Transcendental Means of Enriching Generosity and so forth
are the sole path walked by the Victors and their heirs,
and the quintessential message of all the extraordinary words of the Sublime Vehicle.
Please, grant upon me your blessings
so that they will quickly arise in the continuum of my being!
35.    Having thoroughly purified my own continuum with the Six Transcendental Means,
I shall serve the purpose of others with the Four Pastoral Skills.
And by reaching the finality of my trainings
with the three aspects of assembling, maturing and refining,
I shall liberate all migratory beings without exception.
Please, grant upon me your blessings so I will be able to do so!          
~~~~~
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License

No comments:

Post a Comment