Sunday, September 11, 2016

Quintessence of the Stages of Path - Part V (Yeshe Gyaltsen)


[5/5 | Copyright@DNKL(2016) Special thanks go to Tina R. & Ven. Chopel.]
Part I.     Guru Devotion & Small Capacity
Part II.    Medium Capactiy
Part III.   Sacred Heart of Awakening
Part IV.   Training of the Heroes & Heroins of Awakening Heart 
Part V.     Calm-abiding, Special Insight & Tantra
       (2) The Last Two Transcendental Means in Particular
            (a) Serene Abiding which is by Nature Mental Stabilization
            (b) Outstanding Insight which is by Nature Superb Wisdom
       The Special Trainings of the Adamant Vehicle
       Conclusion
Tibetan Text
Homage to Lama Tsongkhapa
~~~~~
༄༅།།བྱང་ཆུབ་ལམ་གྱི་རིམ་པའི་སྙིང་པོའི་གསལ་བྱེད་ཡང་གསལ་སྒྲོན་མ་ཞེས་བྱ་བ་བཞུགས་སོ།།
Quintessence of of the Stages of Path
by the Most Venerable
Tsechokling Yongtzin Yeshe Gyaltsen
(Part V. Calm-Abiding & Special Insight)

(2) The Way to Take on the Trainings of the Last Two Transcendental Means in Particular 
(a) The Way to take on the Training of Serene Abiding which is by Nature Mental Stabilization
1.        From the heart of my Supreme Mentor, the Lord of Sages,
who is on the top of my head, emanates splendid light rays which form a stem.
At its apex, there is a sesame seed-sized sacred image of the Sage,
residing on celestial circles of multifarious lotus and the moon,
and beautified by major and minor marks of wonder, which I can never tired of admiring.
I shall meditate on him, whose very nature is lucid and luminous light.
2.        From beginningless time, the wild elephant of my mind has never been subdued
and has always been wandering and straying to the wicked path.
Now, I shall tightly bind it with a chain of recollection
on a steadfast pillar of observed content, and make it hold fast.
And if it does not stay there but attempts to wander to other places,
I shall overpower it with a sharp iron hook of introspection.     
3.        If it gets too tight, agitation will dawn;
and if it get too loose, drowsiness will dawn.
Therefore, I shall know how to strike a balance between the two

exactly in accordance with the oral instruction of my holy Supreme Mentors.
I shall single-pointedly behold the observed object
precisely as how it is introduced by my Supreme Mentors,
and not observe any other objects that I dream up.
4.        When I meditate like this, if my mind does not stay on a single point
but wanders to external objects which I desire,
I shall constrain it with the feeling of relinquishment,
by contemplating on transiency, uncertainty, and the sorrows of cyclic existence.
If drowsiness and dullness arise,
I shall uplift my mind with joy
by contemplating the meritorious virtues of the Three Sublime Jewels and so forth.      
5.        In order to achieve the utmost pure Equilibrium-Beholding,
I must learn and understand the way to practice –
accomplishing a perfect assembly of its causes:
eliminating the five flaws, relying on the eight remedies and so forth.
With the mastery of those essentials of practice,
I shall practice mental stabilization as firm and unshakable as a mountain. 
6.        All meritorious virtues of the Three Vehicles without exception,
arise due to the strength of practicing the single-pointed mental stabilization.
If I do not have the mental stabilization of concentrating single-pointedly,
how is it possible for me to achieve any result of the Three Vehicles?
7.        If my mind is overwhelmed by various distractions,
and finds difficulty abiding in the observation of virtue even for a very short moment,
I will surely be conquered by mental afflictions.
Thus, having obtained this excellent life of fortune for once
I shall follow the exemplary life of holy beings of the past –
practicing meditation of mental stabilization
in an isolated abode and without being distracted.
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I will be able to do so!
(b) The Way to Take on the Training of Outstanding Insight, which is by Nature Superb Wisdom
8.        This self-reification has chained me
in the three realms of cyclic existence since beginningless time,
and is the root of all flaws and faults.
It has been residing in the depth of my heart –
pretending to benefit me,
but actually bringing the most grievous harm. 
9.        I shall thoroughly reflect on how this bewitching devil – self-reification,
has been harming me from beginningless time until now.
Firmly holding hostility towards it,
I shall be diligent to subdue this enemy of mine.
10.    If I do not ascertain the exact content of the beholding mode
of this wicked mind – self-reification,
there will be no way for me to subdue it.
Thus, I shall be diligent to ascertain the object of refutation
by relying on the power of trustworthy scriptures, unblemished reasoning,
and the quintessential instructions of
my holy Supreme Mentors blessed by the lineage.
11.    If I achieve the ascertainment in this way without mistake –
correctly identifying the thief –
all falsity will be destroyed.
This misleading appearance,
which makes me comprehend truthlessness as truthfulness,
has been forcing me into suffering since beginningless time until now.
It is like a shadow which misleads me to believe seeing its resemblance,
and brings about fear, terror and myriad sorrows.
12.    Therefore, by singe-pointedly making prayers to my Supreme Mentor, the deity,
and by thoroughly examining reality with eyes of unblemished reasoning,
I shall ascertain, without being misled, the mode of being which is free from extremes,
and destroy all the falsity caused by the misleading power of incognizance.
13.    Lobsang Drakpa the Wholesome Heart, the Lord of Victors, clearly stated:
“No matter what presents itself as content
in the faculty of consciousness, which has six types,
it is merely construed by our own mind,
and does not subsist truthfully in any way.”
14.    With lethal sharp weapons of unblemished reasoning,
like the seven reasoning of adamantine dust, the four quintessential points,
the king of reasoning – Conditioned Occurrences and so forth,
I shall smash my enemy – this self-reification – to the finest powder.
Please, grant upon me you blessings so that I will be able to do so!
15.    Due to my practice of the single-pointed abiding on the profound reality,
and repeatedly reaching the ascertainment with analysis,
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that the Equilibrium-Beholding,
which unifies the Equipoise-Abiding and Outstanding Insight,
quickly arises in the continuum of my being!    

b. The Special Trainings of the Adamant Vehicle 

1.        Having cleansed and refined my mind through these stages of the Path,
moved by exceedingly intense love, compassion and the Heart of Awakening,
and with the desire to achieve the Sacred State of Awakening quickly and swiftly,
I shall seek out a faster path of profundity.
2.        With the three means of pleasing,
I shall diligently and wholeheartedly serve the pleasure of my Supreme Mentors –
the most sublime ones with mastery of arts and hearts of compassion.
And beseeching the four types of utmost pure empowerments as they please,
I shall plant the seeds of the Four Sacred Bodies in my heart.
3.        Then, I shall steadfastly defend the root of all sacred achievement, ordinary and sublime:
not forsaking my sacred commitments and vows,
which I properly took in the eyes of my tutorial deities and Supreme Mentors,
even if it means my life.
Please, grant upon me you blessings so that I will be able to do so!
4.        I shall reach this ascertainment:
Having comprehended my pure sacred commitments and vows to be the foundation of the Path,
and by relying and serving fully-qualified Sagacious Masters of the Adamantine,
I will thoroughly cleanse and purify myself in the ocean of Tantra, the greatest of mysteries.
5.        Having reached the ascertainment of the meaning of the two forms of the Profound Path –
quintessence of the ocean of Tanta, the greatest of mysteries –
I shall completely forsake the meaningless activities concerning this life,
and constantly engage in the four sessions of yoga in an isolated abode,
with great devotion and persistent diligence.  
6.        Having brought my continuum to its maturity with the first form of yoga,
I shall quickly achieve the Sacred State of Unification
by the second form of the yoga of Profound Path.
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that I will be able to do so!

III. Conclusion

1.         Oh, I pray to you, my Supreme Mentor the most sublime one!
You consolidate all my refuges of the three times,
you are Vajradhara the Adamant Holder, the Lordly Master of Sages.
Please, grant upon me your blessings so that this excellent path,
which pleases all the Victors,
quickly arises in the continuum of my being!
~~~~~
Translators' Colophon:

This text of one hundred and eighty-verse pithy instructions on Lamrim meditation are excerpted from The Source of Sacred Achievements Summarizing the Quintessence of Stages of the Path Ttowards the State of Awakening and The Lamp Further Illuminating the Illumination of the Quintessence of Stages of the Path Towards the State of Awakening, composed by the Most Reverenced Tsechokling Yongtzin Yeshe Gyaltsen, the tutor to His Holiness the 8th Dalai Lama and founder of Dip Tsechokling Monastery. 
Having searched for a work of certain length that, together with the preliminary practice such as Necklace of the Fortunate, would be appropriate for a one-day retreat, DNKL Translation Group translated it from Tibetan on the Most Auspicious Day of Buddha Shakyamuni, known as Saka Dawa Tuchen, June 2, 2015 and edited on the Auspicious Day of the Turning of the Wheel of Dharma, 2016. For the ease of reading, all devices to mark the words added by translators were omitted throughout. 
May all old mothers of ours quickly achieve the State of Vajradhara through the gradual path of Enlightenment! May the compassionate heart of holy beings be exhorted by all forms of virtuous efforts! May the growth of dharma community be ensured by lineage blessings, truth and love, as well as empathetic and courageous hearts that cherish diversity and understanding! May each and every sentient beings be accompanied, embraced and guided by sacred mentors!



This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License


==========
Tibetan Text

༄༅།།བྱང་ཆུབ་ལམ་གྱི་རིམ་པའི་སྙིང་པོ་བསྡུས་པ་དངོས་གྲུབ་ཀུན་འབྱུང་ཞེས་བྱ་བ་བཞུགས་སོ།། 
TBRC W1GS103597. 18: 463 - 500. delhi: bod kyi dpe deb khang, [2005?]. 

༄༅།།སྙིང་པོའི་གསལ་བྱེད་ཡང་གསལ་སྒྲོན་མ་ཞེས་བྱ་བ་བཞུགས་སོ།། 
TBRC W1GS103597. 5: 153 - 192. delhi: bod kyi dpe deb khang, [2005?]

No comments:

Post a Comment